Skip to Content

Camp FAQ's

Expand or Collapse all.

Is there financial aid available for the camp?

There are a limited number of scholarships available for campers who meet the criteria for the scholarship (click here). Please contact us for more information.

What kinds of science activities will my camper be doing?

The camps are designed to introduce campers to the amazing world of aquatic science through a holistic, inquiry-based learning environment.We strive to make sure the entire camp is an educational experience and even our fun and games are designed to get campers to think scientifically.Campers are encouraged to ask questions and given tools to investigate those questions for themselves.Campers participate in hands-on learning activities in the lab and in the field facilitated by knowledgeable staff that are either active research scientists or teachers.Activities include sampling for aquatic invertebrates and plankton, a water chemistry lab, a cave tour to demonstrate how caves are formed, a glass bottom boat tour over Spring Lake, a snorkel scavenger hunt, star gazing, and much more! Please see the camp activities page [click here] for more information.

What if my child isn't a good swimmer?

Due to the nature of the camp, the ability to swim and tread water is essential.  See item 3 under General Camp Information (click here) for more details.

What if my camper gets homesick?

Homesickness is most common in our younger aged campers, but can happen to anyone, especially if this is the first time they have been away from home for this long.We do our best to comfort and redirect their attention towards engaging in the camp activities and it usually fades within the first day or two.If your camper contacts you asking for an early pickup, please talk to our camp director first and we will provide you with a first-hand report of how your camper is doing and help you to make a decision in the best interest of your camper.

Can I come visit my camper during the sessions?

We encourage parents to contact their camper with letters, emails, or care packages.We do not encourage phone calls and we do not allow visits during camp.We have found this disrupts the camp experience and can exacerbate homesickness issues.We are fully aware of our responsibility to care for your child and we take that very seriously.

What kind of luggage should my camper bring?

We recommend that your camper bring either a suitcase or a small trunk to keep their belongings in at camp.We encourage each camper to bring only one piece of luggage plus a small backpack or knapsack for day outings in order to ensure that the bunk rooms do not get overcrowded.We also suggest that you give your camper a plastic garbage bag in order to keep dirty clothes in.

What hospitals or medical facilites are nearby?

All of our staff are trained in first aid and CPR and are equipped to treat minor cuts and bruises.In the case that a camper requires medical attention, he/she will be taken to the Texas State University Student Health Center (SHC) for treatment if it is a minor injury or illness.In case of a more serious issue, he/she will be taken to the Central Texas Medical Center (CTMC) emergency room.Parents/guardians will be notified immediately by phone call in the event of any emergency involving their camper.

Who should I contact about specific camp questions?

Please contact Aaron Swink, Assistant Director for Education at 512-245-3541 or

Camp Photos